A Typical School Day in California

We so enjoyed Mr. Salsich’s class slide show and Mrs. Watson’s video! We are excited to share a typical California day with our new friends!

We are a suburban community with a school population of about 600 students. In our class, we have 25 third graders, a helpful mascot named Panda, and a large bear named Beverly who is barely awake most days! Our teacher is Mrs. Yollis, and she has been teaching students at our school for twenty-five years!

We started school on August 24 and the year ends on June 12.

On the bottom right there is a button to watch full screen.

Typical California School Day on PhotoPeach

We are happy to answer any questions you have!

14 thoughts on “A Typical School Day in California

1. Dear Mrs. Yollis,

Great post about your school day.

Quinn : it looks like every day you guys have an awesome day with your teacher and with you activities.

Millie: Our days are very different because we start school at 9:00 am in the morning and finish at 3:30 pm in the afternoon. We sometimes eat inside or we eat outside before the bell rings.

Quinn: My favourite subjects are maths (math), P.E and ICT (computers).

Millie: My favourite subjects are maths, literacy (which we call the “Literary Block”), netbooks, P.E and ICT (computers).

2KM and 2KJ love blogging and leaving comments of the 2KM and 2KJ blog and we both love blogging.

Leo and Lulu loved reading the card that you sent us and thanks for the lollies (candy), lolly pops and the flags we all loved them.

We hope you get lots of comments to reply and happy blogging.

Your blogging friends,

Millie and Quinn in 2KM 🙂

P.S make shore you say hello to Panda and Beverly and also to the class. Also have a Happy Halloween.

2. Dear Mrs. Yollis’ Class,
    We really enjoyed your Photopeach! Life at your school and in your community definitely seems a little bit different than it is here. We did see a lot of similarities too though.

Similarities:
    Kennedy-We both check our blogs and work on comments and posts in the morning.
    Sophie-We both have a carpet.
    Brooklynn-We both have IWBs.
    Gwen-We both have chart stands and an Elmo.
    Trista-We both do science and social studies in the afternoon.
    Bradley-We both have computer labs.
    Lily-We both have PE.

Differences:
    Gwen-We eat snack outside, but we eat lunch in the classroom.
    Kennedy-We don’t do the Pledge of Allegiance.
    Trista-We don’t have music class.
    Sophie- We don’t have a Mobi, we have a SmartBoard.
    Lily-We don’t have specials because we are so small. Art, PE, and computers are a part of our class.
    Kennedy-You have your own desks and we sit anywhere and keep our supplies in our bins.
    Sophie-We don’t have Alpha Smarts.

Questions:
    Ana-Do you have hooks for your backpacks in the classroom?
    Sophie-Do you all have your own Alpha Smart?
    Brooklynn_Do you ever eat outside of the canopy?
    Kennedy-Is Beverly always taking a nap?
    Gwen-What does Panda do?
    Ana-Do you have book orders where you can buy books each month?
    Lily-Does Panda sleep as much as Beverly.
    Mrs. Watson-In the picture it looked like part of your playground was covered with a blue canopy. Is that because of the sun? We don’t have that problem!
    Sharon-Do you have Wikki Stix? We use them for Word Work.

We still have more questions, but we’ll save some for later 🙂

Your friends,
    Mrs. W and the 2/3s

• Dear Brooklynn and Kennedy,

Thanks for the nice comment!

Brooklynn, you asked about our outside canopy. Fifth graders at our school can eat out on the grass area. All the other students must eat under the tent.

Kennedy, you asked if Beverly sleeps all the time. Usually she is asleep. Did you know that bears hibernate? We think that is what she is doing. Sometimes we lift her up and wake her up. Other times, like when we are reading on the rug she falls over and lands on one of us! Everyone usually laughs and laughs when that happens.

Your blogging pals,
      Royce and Sarah
      (Yollis’ students)

3. @ Mrs. Watson

What a fabulous comment!

No, our backpacks are not inside. We hang them up on hooks that are outside. It looks like you guys have a coat room. Is that true?

Yes we do have our own Alpha Smarts. Mrs. Yollis wrote a grant about six years ago and purchased them for the class. We practice after lunch. Acacia and Kelly are both on the lesson called “t” and “h”. When we pass a certain level, we can type our homework!

Glad you liked our slide show!

Your blogging buddies,

Acacia and Kelly

Kelly is on the

• Dear Acacia and Kelly,
      Our cubbies and hooks are just along one wall in our classroom. We have some bookshelves placed to separate that area from the rest of the classroom.
      You are lucky to have a class set of Alpha Smarts. Is typing practice fun? We haven’t started any typing practice yet this year.

Mrs. W and the 2/3s

• @ Mrs. Watson and 2/3,

Yes, typing lessons are fun! Each AlphaSmart has a number on it and each of us gets our own AlphaSmart. There is a typing program called Keywords on each, and it teaches you how to type. There are different levels. As you pass, the AlphaSmart keeps track of you. When you pass the lesson called x., Mrs. Yollis lets us type our homework.

Several of our classmates are pretty advanced. For example, Alexandra, Atrina, Sasha, Sarah, Leila, Royce, and Mia are very far along. We practice about 10-15 minutes every day. Then we silently read.

When do you think you will start learning to type? How will you learn?

Sincerely,
        Kelly and Acacia
        (Yollis)

4. @ Ana and Gwen,

Thank you for leaving a comment on our post on Our World Our Stories.

Gwen, Panda is very helpful. For example, in our commenting movie he taught us to only use one exclamation mark in a sentence. He says, “If you want to show more excitement, use more words, NOT more exclamation marks!”

Ann, you asked if we do book orders. We have not yet, but Mrs. Yollis said that we will.

Sincerely,
    Aidan and Parsa

5. Dear Mrs Yollis and Grade 3

Here are some things that we noticed about each of our days.

Matthew wants to know how to play bamboo.
    Nathan – we play Around the World too, to practice our basic facts.
    Ganda – we eat our lunch first and then go and play.
    Kaeleb – we don’t sit under a canopy for lunch, but we can sit on the veranda
    Jack – we would love to have pizza day!
    Nikki – if it is raining or cold we eat in our classrooms

warm blogging wishes
    from B4

6. Dear Matthew from B4,

Bamboo is a really fun game. There are two yellow bars and there is one person on each side. When somebody says “go,” you jump over the bars and run to the next side. If the person you are playing against tags your hand, then your out. If you get too tired, then you just say bamboo and the next person in line goes.

What games do you like to play at lunch or recess?

From,
    Sarah

7. Dear Mrs Yollis and Grade 3,

Thank you for sharing A Typical school Day in California.

I loved watching your slideshow too it was awesome. I found it wounderful how you all do your Pledge of Allegiance each morning.
    What is also iteresting is that you start school 8.15 where here in Australia we start at 9.00 and finish at 3.30 and you at 2.21 interesting.

Thankyou for sharing your wonderful day at school in California even though I am not at school it really is always so interesting to see how your school day is different to our school day here in Australia.

From AA.

8. Dear Mrs Yollis,
    I teach English in Madrid, Spain. I have just finished seeing
    every day activities with my third graders. They will love to see your video!! Thanks a lot, Carmen.

9. Hi Mrs. Yollis and her class,

My name is Zack Burroughs, and I am in Dr. Strange’s EDM310 class at the University of South Alabama. I really enjoyed watching your video, and I can tell that you kids have a lot of fun in your class. I can remember playing a lot of those games when I was a kid, and it brings back very fond memories.

It is good to see that the students are using technology at such a young age! At my school, we also used technology at a young age as well, but you kids would laugh if they had to see what we had to use. Google “old IBM computer” and you might see. It is depressing compared to today, and it makes me feel so old!

The school hours are a little odd in California to me though. Getting out at 2:21 and only 20 minutes for recess but 45 minutes for lunch? Weird!

Thanks for reading,

Zack

10. Hi Mrs. Yollis and her class,

I’m Whitney Watson, a student at the University of South Alabama. This semester I am taking Dr. Strange’s edm310 class. Your schedule is very similar to the schedule I had when I was in elementary school. It seems like the time given is spent wisely and students get to learn about many different subject matters throughout the day. They are lucky to have helpful study tools. This is my first time hearing about the AlphaSmarts. I wish I had been able to use such technology when I was in grade school. I really enjoyed your post. I hope that you all continue having a great year!

Thank you,

Whitney